Welcome to the World of Weight Loss Psychology
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF WEIGHT LOSS MOTIVATION, MINDSET & SABOTAGE
- Are you a practicing clinician interested in going deeper into the psychology and psychotherapy of weight loss?
- Do you want to understand more about how to maximise motivation and mindset to improve outcomes?
- Do you want to learn about how some of the latest developments in psychotherapy – like ACT and Compassion Focused Therapy – are being integrated into weight loss therapy?
- Do you want to learn hands-on skills?
Then this site, developed by Dr George Blair-West – Medical Doctor, Psychiatrist, President of the Obesity Prevention and Treatment Society and a best-selling author – is for you.
Weight Loss Psychology (WLP) is the emerging field of evidence-based psychotherapy that is a vital component in the treatment of obesity.
It starts with the premise that our relationship to food is both developmentally profound and primal, constituting an attachment that rivals early interpersonal attachments.
The threat of denying access to emotionally significant foods triggers a range of complex, psychophysiologic responses. If this threat is not managed, it results in the “self-sabotage” of weight loss plans.
WLP aims to understand and manage these forces that prevent successful and sustained weight loss, maximise motivation and develop a success mindset. Research into Restraint Theory is married to psychotherapies such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) to inform a comprehensive clinical strategy.
Are You A Health Professional?
Dr Blair-West is in an even smaller group of psychologically trained experts dealing with this challenging public health issue. He has given many keynote addresses at conferences in this field and most recently presented at the national Eating Disorders & Obesity conference in Australia in May 2014.
After training hundreds of clinicians, including doctors, psychologists and dietitians, in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, he is now developing an online version of his workshops incorporating his latest work into the two M’s – motivation and mindset, and integration with ACT and CFT.
Want to Go Further?
Sign up below and you’ll be able to listen to a sample of one of Dr Blair-West’s therapy sessions with one of his patients talking about her therapy journey from anorexia through bulimia to a much better place using group therapy and CFT.
Or…Just Want To Lose Weight?
- A Free “Eavesdropping On Weight Loss Therapy” audio session.
- Which diet really works – the secret will surprise you!
- How to unravel the deep-seated, psychological reasons that prevent you from losing weight.
- Plus much more!
Find out more by clicking on the button below:
(Staying on this website is only really for health professionals such as doctors, dietitians, personal trainers etc. that are looking to help others lose weight)